Saturday, April 24, 2010

It's not the presidet, it's Spann

I love severe weather! Despite how bored I currently am, I still secretly hope I get to see some truly wicked weather! I guess it goes back to my days in media...

I remember the adrenaline rush from the news room on days like this; running around between stations, printing off wx updates, simulcasting when the wx was bad enough. It was so much fun. I hate admitting how much I miss radio sometimes but I still say I'll never go back.

I watch all of the severe wx coverage from a completely different point of view now. I watch NBC13 and think about all the gossip going around there and wonder what gossip is new. I wath Fox6 and think about how overrated they are. Then I usually stop flipping once I get to James Spann. There is no ABC 33/40 on severe wx days. There is only James Spann.

If you want to know what happened in the world of weather on November 17, 1982, James Spann can tell you! He's more than just a weatherman, too. He's a walking Tom-Tom! "this bridge on this road in this town in this city, it's next to this light post and a tree where I heard my first beatles song. Man! I'll never forget!"

The only reason this man is the voice of Alabama weather us because he predicted the blizzard of 1993 (March 12, 1993 - my parents 17th and final wedding anniversay. They also split that weekend. I blame Spann). For some sick reason, Alabamians everywhere have dropped everything and gone to buy milk and bread when James Spann says so! It's a conspiracy people! Walmart pays him to say this shit!

Spann, I am just curious how you know all of these roads in Alabama. WTF is Yazoo City by the way???? Were you bored in high school and college and just do an incessant amount of driving!? The way you moil over the changing landscape and roads of our state makes me concerned that you may have an obsession that requires medication. And can you recall caloric intake of foods as easily as you can name the time and place of a tornadic event in history?

Just curious...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Heath said...

I miss radio too. I'm not ashamed of it at all. it was the best job i ever had. Almost starved to death doing it, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Twogoldengirls said...

Thank goodness you have priorities! Can;t get the Spann man 33/40 does not come in on the TV (sans cable)

Get entry. Gotta have a spann man. JP Dice is adequate, just not the real thing.

Let it snow!