Monday, December 15, 2008

Daycare

Fifteen minutes till the end of the business day and this verbal exchange has me curious if allowing myself to be run over or if I'm as bitchy as I sometimes feel.

Salesman, "I'm going to the store. I'll be back before 6."

I am puzzled. "We're about to close. Why don't you wait fifteen minutes?"

The salesman looks at me like I'm stupid, "I'll have to walk."

"Huh?" I must be stupid.

"I'll. Have. To. Walk," he repeats, verbally confirming that he thinks I'm stupid. "It's the store right down the street! Why don't you just let me go?! I'll be right back!"

"I don't understand why you can't wait fifteen minutes and why you can't get whomever is taking you home to drop you off by the store," I argued. I was getting frustrated with his attitude.

"You see, I'll have to walk, it's going to rain. I'll still have to walk -" At this point his rambling isn't making any sense to me. I'm not sure whether it's because it's the end of the day or if he really isn't making much sense and is just looking for an excuse to drive one of our cars considering he doesn't own a vehicle. I can say this, asking why he thinks he'll still have to walk in the rain if his chauffeur lets him take a detour is pointless and would take up the fifteen minutes we had left in the day.

"Just go," I interrupted.

"What?"

"Just. Go." I put my finger between the bridge of nose to suppress the frustration and confusion.

Ten minutes later, with five minutes left in the day, the salesmen returns, looks to see if it's time to go yet, jumps in some other salesman's vehicle and leaves for the day.

I personally feel like - or rather, I know I was bullied into allowing him to go to the store. However, sometimes it's just better to forget about it instead of saying, "Hate it for ya!"

No comments: