Friday, December 12, 2008

If it can, it will

I got a great work out in at the gym this morning. So good that I lost track of the time and had to run in the shower before I'd be any later for work.

I ran in the locker room, sorted out my shower gear, slipped out of my sweaty gym clothes and dashed into the shower. As soon as I was done, I started drying off. First my hair - since it's so thick I have to start drying as soon as I'm done. Then the rest of me.

I wrapped the towel around me and headed to my shower bag to grab my baby powder and deoderant. For some reason, I thought I'd do things a bit differently today. Instead of smelling good first, I thought I'd blast my hair some with the hair dryer and then deoderize. I plugged in my hairdryer and got started.

I turned my head upside-down, feeling the hot air through my damp fingertips and hair. I then turned my head up and continued brushing my hair with the tips of my fingers. Accidentally, I kept hitting the "cool" button on the back of my hairbrush. It got me tickled because I noticed how the lights would get brighter whenever I pushed it. I have to admit, it made me a little distracted; I kept hitting the "cool" button! That's when I noticed the bright flash of light.

Out of the corner of my eye, whenever I'd hit the button, the fire alarm would light up. I really thought it was my hairdryer tripping this light. So I hit the button some more. Then the light was out of sync with my hairdryer and I realized that the fire alarm was really going off!

Oh, shit! I'm naked! was my first thought. The second was Did my hairdryer do that? Nooo...

So I did what any normal human being standing naked in the gym locker room playing with their hair dryer would do: I kept getting ready for work! I combed out my hair, put in some mousse, laid out my make-up, etc. etc. Finally, the alarm started talking. It said, in so many words, "The alarm sensor has been tripped. Calmly walk to the nearest exit, please."

Well, I couldn't. I'm still wrapped in a big, red beach towel!

So what do I do now? was my next thought. I'm the only female in the locker room. Surely if this is a real emergency, somebody will knock and tell me to get out of here!

Then I did what any normal human being standing naked in the gym locker room listening to the fire alarm would do: I got my clothes on and walked out to the floor barefoot with my hair wet to find out what was going on.

I found two groups of people. The first group was the biggest. They were ignoring the alarm and working out. The second wasn't really a group. It was three people. Two employees and a member. One employee was on the phone with the alarm company while the other was laughing at me and the member was asking me why the alarm was going off. I had several thoughts at one time. They go as follows:

Oh, it's tripped.
Oh, they're trying to fix it by the phone.
Do I look like I'm holding a magic 8 ball lady? I'm standing half-dressed and barefoot lady!
False alarm.
God, I hope it wasn't my hairdryer!

I finished getting ready and headed to my car. I just kept my head down in case it was my hairdryer and I was not going to get caught!! I got to my car, looked up and saw the air conditioning people, apologizing profusely about tripping the fire alarm.

No comments: