Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Gift

We had three Christmas parties Thursday. Trey and I were on the road all day long. We spent the night in Birmingham at his parents house and left Tuscaloosa just in time to miss the tornado warnings Wednesday night. From the alarm sound, it was "Go" the rest of the day. Our only alone time was in the car laughing at our families before hitting the next party.

We left my mother's house around 2:30 and headed to Stephen's apartment to eat some more. I was so tired of eating and really getting sleepy, plus, I'd had a few glasses of wine; I was feeling very relaxed. I handed Trey the keys to my car and laid my head back on the head rest and lowered my eye lids while he made the drive to Shelby County. Somewhere along the interstate, Trey mentioned having one more Christmas gift.

"But I thought we'd already exchanged our gifts earlier this month!," I protested. "I didn't get you anything else!"

"Oh it's nothing major, it's at Stephen's," he responded.

What the hell did you get me? You weren't supposed to! How did you spend money without me seeing it missing in the checking account? I wondered quietly.

"I got you those tickets to go see that Wizard of Oz thingy show -"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWicked!!!EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" I screamed, "I'M GOING TO SEE WICKED!!!!!?"

Trey put a finger in his ear and laughed, "Yes, you're going to see Wicked."

More screaming. Actually, I think I screamed like a teenage girl seeing David Cassidy or the Beatles all the to Stephen's.

"I'M GOING TO SEE WICKED! I'M GOING TO SEE WICKED!," I continued, "Where are we sitting? Are we sitting where Stephen thought he'd get the tickets?"

"I don't know; I think it's the middle section."

"The mezzanine?"

"Yeah, I think so."

I don't care! I'M GOING TO SEE WICKED!!

We got to Stephens a few minutes later and I was still so giddy, I was singing.

Apparently, Stephen had a plan, though, "Why did you tell her? I had it all planned out!"

"I'll act surprised!" I reassured him, "I can fake it!"

I don't think it assured Stephen well enough. I tried to act surprised anyway when I opened the gift and didn't fake anything at all when I read where we were sitting.

ROW D ORCHESTRA

no way...

"Third row???"

"Yup!"

"I'M GOING TO SEE WICKED ON THE THIRD ROW!" the poor neighbors. I just kept screaming!!

No comments: