Thursday, December 18, 2008

From under the rock

I've already had a confusing morning. I just don't understand some people.

I was literally putting my salad, apple and banana in a bag, about to walk out the door when my phone rings. I didn't have to think about it; I knew it was work even though I was secretly hoping it was my friend, Brooke, telling me if she was having a boy or a girl (or babies!).

"Stephanie, W's customers are here. They've been here since 8. Is the paperwork ready?" It was D. Thank God he knows the paperwork, too! It's 8:20 in the morning and I'm confused as to why the customer is there so early.

"Yeah, it's printed. All they have to do is sign," I confirmed. "W told me 8:30, D, I'm sorry I'm not there! I'm literally walking out the door, though!"

D sounded frustrated, like he didn't know exactly what to tell this customer. Tell them we open at 8:30 and W confirmed 8:30 with them as they were walking out the door last night! I thought. But I wasn't sure if D knew that. Better he stay naive.

I drove to the dealership, not worried about flying. The roads are wet, traffic's been kind of crazy, these people were told 8:30, I know, and I live three minutes from the dealership, anyway. I parked my car thinking that by the time I'd get to my office, the customers would be finished and all I'd have to say was, "I'm sorry."

Before I could get out of my car, W was standing at me door.

"Stephanie, I don't know where she got 8 from. I know I told you 8:30. She might have confused me. I told her we didn't open until 8:30," he looked like he was worried he was going to get in trouble. I was only worried about his survey. If he doesn't get a 10, he doesn't get paid. At the same time I was thinking this shouldn't have been such a big deal; if she wanted to meet me at 8, I live just down the street! It would've been fine with me.

"Don't worry about it," I tried to brush it off.

"Do me a favor, though."

mmm..."What?"

"Tell her your sorry you're running late?" he asked. W looked like he knew he was asking a lot. It's not uncommon to step out of the humility comfort zone in my position; I knew it was coming.

"Yeah, no big deal. I'll take care of it."

I walked in the dealership, put down my bag, grabbed me keys and explained the situation to C. I ran back to my office and immediately, "Hey, Mrs. J. I'm so sorry I wasn't here. Please accept me apologies. I ran a tad late. I hope D has been able to take good care of you. Again, I'm so sorry!"

The woman's eyes looked like they were trying to bore into my head to find truth. "You hear 8 didn't you?"

"Honestly, ma'am, I heard 8:30, but I will honestly say I may have misunderstood the times. I'm so sorry."

D looked at her and mentioned something about not being open until 8:30; meanwhile I couldn't get over the look she had in her face. I tried to help D out while he finished her paperwork. She said she'd "think" about our survey and left.

About and hour later, I get this phone call:

"I bought a 2005 Hyundai and I bought it from another dealership that's out of business and I had a quick question about if you honor the Hyundai Warranty there."

"Yes, ma'am we do. As long as it's under manufacturer's warranty, we can do warranty work."

"Ok, I had another quick question."

"Yes, ma'am?"

"I had the tire's for life there. Do you honor that?"

"No, ma'am. That was something with your dealership."

"Well, I just had to get new tires from somebody else, will ya'll do the tires for life?"

"No ma'am."

"I have another question."

"OK?"

"About the tires for life. With the new tires I got, will ya'll replace them there?"

"No ma'am, we don't honor the tires for life from the other dealership."

"Well they told me I to get my oil changes done there for the tires for life. Does that matter anymore?"

"No, ma'am, not if they're out of business, but we don't honor the tires for life."

"Well, how much are oil changes?"

"Let me connect you to the service department..." Thank God!

Is it another full moon already???

No comments: