Thursday, November 20, 2008

The day the Blackberry lived

When you move, several things get lost very easily. Take, for example, your favorite coffee mug that you didn't pack until the last second, that box with all your some of your office supplies you were sure you put in the car when you were loading or a favorite photo that you always displayed.

Speaking of photos, that reminds me that I haven't seen some of my favorite liquor signs that I always hang in my kitchen...and Trey's never really liked them, either...

In our case, now several items of mine our M.I.A. One of the most important, a phone charger to my Samsung A747. While I am addicted to text messaging and my phone, I do need my phone for several reasons: work, work numbers and messages that I have sent and received regarding work.

Saturday, when my charger was still at the house, I new I needed to make sure I put it in a special place - that special box that I would know exactly where it was at exactly the moment I needed to retrieve my phone charger. Sunday, I charge my phone for what would be the last time. I unplug my charger and place into a smaller, brown box and tuck the top of the box together instead of taping it. That way I would know for sure that it was my box with my phone charger. Trey, I must be disillusioned at the point after this move but this is what I was absolutely positive happened, picked up the important box and put it in his truck. That night, the box was left in his vehicle because we were completely exhausted at this point.

Monday, while my phone is losing some of the precious charge I got from Sunday, I can't seem to locate the box.

Tuesday, not a lot of charge left, the box is missing, and miraculously, a huge box full of yard sale items that was supposed to go with my in laws appears. Let me explain this, my in-laws don't like for us to throw away things. Something about, "You may want this later," "You may need this later," "Why would you want to throw away a perfectly good chord you might could use later," - I don't know but bottom line, they didn't want us to throw away/sell our unused items. Even though my rule of thumb is that if you haven't thought about it in over a year, it's gone, baby, gone.

When I found the box of yard sale items, I immediately thought, "It's a switch!" then I realized that was a little ridiculous and thought, "I bet Wayne and Judy took the wrong boxes - and I bet they have the box with my phone charger in it? But how? We put it in Trey's car?"

By this point, I had to find my phone! Granted, it's been a bit quiet at work and one day without those numbers would probably be OK, I couldn't go more than a couple. I need my numbers. If I could have synced them, I would have but you can't do that with this phone. It's not a Blackberry like my old phone, i.e. the love my life phone.

If you've known me two years, you've seen me with four phones. Maybe five. I change every six months due to some freak accident or other. I'm not staging my phones deaths, they really do get dropped on brick floors, stepped on and turn possessed. But if Trey or I upgrade and don't have a problem with the old phone, we keep it, because I might need it!

Trey upgraded his phone to the iPhone earlier this year, from his Blackberry (he copied me first), and I remembered seeing it when we moved. Now I was looking for two items: a charger or a Blackberry!

"Trey! Where's your Blackberry?"

"I threw it away."

Dammit! "Have you seen my phone charger?"

"No."

Grrr..

Wednesday. Phone is dead. Hope you didn't need me. That night, I had to find my charger. I had Trey looking in his truck again, I was opening all the boxes again; we looked everywhere! In opening up some of the boxes again, a miracle occurred.

"Trey, here's a box of some of your office stuff," I pointed to a small, brown box taped together at the top. I knew it didn't have my phone charger in it because it was taped. It was in the hallway.

When people help you move, no matter how many times you write on there "Office," "Kitchen," or "Bedroom," they still put the boxes wherever they want.

I placed the box in his office and for a shit and giggle, started sifting through the items to make sure I wasn't insane. After I got past a few pieces of paper and a few file folders, I found some chords. "No way," I started yanking on the chords hard to see if one had the little green arrow on the end. That's when I found the small Blackberry Trey used. I pushed the button on the front of the phone. It was one and still had a little bit of charge to it! Plus it was already connected to its phone charger!

I quickly plugged in the phone, moved my SIM card and checked my messages. It was such a relief to be connected again.

Then the old Blackberry addiction started to creep back up into me. I could feel all the possibilities organizing in my head. The buttons seemed too familiar. The programs just as fun as the first time I picked up the Blackberry. All the justification for not replacing my beloved Blackberry sooner was gone. Then I couldn't put the smooth weapon back down - even after Trey's gentle prodding.

It's official: I'm a Crackberry. Hello, my name is Stephanie and I'm addicted to my Blackberry.

What this means for you? More posting from my phone - as soon as I get to the AT&T store...

No comments: