Thursday, November 6, 2008

Somebody didn't take his Lexapro

I'm currently gathering some information for an idea at work. I thought I would call a few local credit unions here in Tuscaloosa and in the Birmingham-Metro area to help me gather my information and see if any of them would be interested in participating in this idea. I want you to know how this bank treated me the next time you need a bank.

On my list was America's First Federal Credit Union. I called and got a young woman on the phone and asked her for the department that handles direct lending. She transfered me to a man in indirect lending. The differences are slight to you but huge for me.

Finally, the young man says, "Our Vice President, Rick Bricknell, is going to call you in a few minutes to help you out with what you are trying to do."

"Awesome! Great!" I was thinking he was going to have all the answers I needed, straight from the VP! Then he calls...

"Mrs. Hyde..." He had a very dry voice that sounded close to arrogant.

"Yes."

"What is it your are trying to accomplish here, Mrs. Hyde?"

"Well," and I explained to him our idea and asked if he would be interested in catering to some of my Birmingham customers, especially since I understood their bank to already be involved in such ventures.

"Well, Mrs. Hyde, let me explain this to you..." and he thus begins to belittle me for some other unnamed dealership who took advantage of him in another market. His arrogant tone took on an almost scolding style.

"Well, Mr. Bricknell, that's not exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying-" I was begging for him to listen but he just kept talking.

"Well, Mrs. Hyde, let me explain this to you..." and he then repeats the whole story again...

"Mr. Bricknell, I think you've misunderstood, I'm lookin for-"

"Well, Mrs. Hyde, why don't you try one of those little banks in the Tuscaloosa area, like Alabama Credit Union or the Firestone?" I was starting to get extremely irritated with his interrupting. His pitch at this point had gone from scolding me to irritated. How had I irritated him? I didn't ask to speak with him! I asked for the Direct Lending Department!

"You mean BF Goodrich, the Credit Union of Alabama?"

"Yes, them! Firestone!"

Why are you behaving like such a jackass??! "Mr. Bricknell, basically, I'm looking for lenders to cater to my Birmingham area customers and unfortunately, they will be out of those 'little' banks' footprints. Basically, are you interested or not?"

"I'm afraid not," he answered in a very flat tone.

Holding onto the very last piece of self control I had left, I said, "That's all I really needed to know."

No comments: